Sunday, May 1, 2016

 Hi! 

So this week was wonderful and terrible at the same time. But then again I could probably say that about lots of days of my mission so I always just choose to say it was wonderful. We did lots of "knocking" and meeting new people/potential investigators ki ai! One of the days the member who was supposed to feed us that morning maybe forgot or something so we walked to our bishops house and asked for food. It was probably the worst day we could have done something like that because their house was a crazy house everyone running around, changing the house and furniture, cleaning, cooking TONS of food, preparing for the funeral of the Bishop's mom who wasn't actually dead yet. I guess Tongans just know exactly when to start preparing for a funeral because she passed away on Saturday. Every night they have a "fai lotu" at the house where everyone goes and sings and prays. We went last night and I love singing with Tongans but my voice was gone after because as a little palangi I'm pretty much singing/screaming at the top of my lungs for an hour. The actual funeral and burial will be on Thursday, which is perfect timing because we'll get back from Tonga on Thursday morning.

A young couple in the ward invited us over to teach her mom who is Catholic at their family night. It was a fun night and good lesson but when we ended with "Finasi'aki" (pretty much where you go around the room and everyone takes turns saying what's on their mind being open and honest with each other, problems they have with each other or whatever it is they want to express, I guess you could say it's just a big family inventory) and she let us know she was grateful we came but would be staying in the Catholic church because that's what she was raised in. It was very sad for Mele, her daughter, because I know how much it has taken for her to get the nerve to invite missionaries to teach her mom. She has said since the time I moved here that we are just going to take it really slowly with her mom because she's a hard one. But I know that NO EFFORT IS WASTED. Even though I'm sure it was very hard for Mele, she has been such a sport about it and I'm sure part of it is just feeling the responsibility come off her shoulders because now she has done her part. Maybe one day her mom will have a change of heart.

I love this work and I know it is the Lord's work. I see His hand in it every day and I know he will ALWAYS lead us as long as we strive to have His spirit with us each day. The Lord is amazing. He is perfect and he loves us perfectly. I know that the atonement of Christ has the power to heal all imperfections, weaknesses, insecurities, doubts, and troubles that enter our lives. We can know this if we trust him. Love you all. Have a beautiful week <3

 Sister Petalisi

No comments:

Post a Comment